Sunday, August 26, 2007

Snowballing...

Ah Snowball, thy name is aquarium. Went to Walmart's local fish section to look for aquarium plants. Turns out Walmart's sole plants consists of package of dried plant bulbs on an unknown type. I was about to leave when I made the mistake of walking by the little fish zoo walmart has. In addition to the usual varieties of Goldfish were some really cool aquatic animals; Puffer fish (little ones), Ghost Shrimp, and incredibly spiffy Aquatic African Dwarf frogs! The puffer fish were listed as being mean to smaller animals, but I was told the ghost shrimp and frogs would get along nicely.

So I bought a pair of frogs and 5 Ghost shrimp. Total impulse buy and I hope it doesn't come back to bite me. On the plus side, some Internet research shows that the two species do get along well and that the frogs just need a gap of fresh air above their tank and it's lid. I prepared the tank, dropped in the aquatic plant bulbs, and Introduced my new buddies. The shrimp are very lively and eager to explore. The sight of them hopping like mad when they storeperson put them into their bag has led me to call them 'The Amigos' as I have no hope in telling the little guys apart. The frogs seem to divide thier time between freezing randomly and tackling each other. I've named them 'Robert' and 'Patrick' after my siblings.

I'm now doing as much research as I can to make certain I take care of these little guys.

No comments: